Friday, May 25, 2012

The Future is Noisy: Where's my Filter Algorithm?



A few weeks ago, I underwent a special EEG test called a visual evoked potential (VEP). This test is designed to measure irregularities in cortical processing of visual stimuli. It is often used to help evaluate whether multiple sclerosis (MS) is a suspected diagnosis for abnormal visual and neurological symptoms. A cluster of EEG nodes are attached to precise locations on the back of the skull to measure the transference speed of voltages traveling from the occipital cortex while the subject’s vision is stimulated by the shifting inversion of a graphic pattern.
As I sat there staring at an old CRT monitor with a checkerboard pattern that center-terminated in a single red dot, I ruminated on the data filtering process of the technology that was about to measure my brain waves on the nano-volt level. I began wondering what capacities it might possess if the noise filtration were tuned to track the subtlest variations of thought, emotion, and sense. With ever increasing data filtration sets, we could soon use our brains to control a vast number of interactive and emotive technologies. Our emerging technologies, while vast and increasingly impressive, are lacking in creativity of application and humanity of scope. Once we can overcome hurdles of isolated focus, I expect that the data sets and filtration algorithms will advance at a dizzying pace.
I was reminded of that experience while reading through Twitter, Facebook, and blog feeds over coffee yesterday morning when I came across an article about the new ZeroN levitating interaction element on the Blind Giant blog of author Nick Harkaway. Harkaway makes an interesting statement about the direction of emergent technology and how “data is simply the world around us represented by a machine.” It strikes me, that all these interactive and wave-analysis technologies, once properly attenuated to the task, will give us an even broader understanding of data. Perhaps even a better understanding of what being “human” means.
Once I get rattling down this cyber-existential railroad, I cannot help but think of Heiddeger’s essay “The Question Concerning Technology.” Every time I read this essay or attempt to teach it to students or share it with friends, I find myself plagued with thoughts that paint technology as a kind of bacterial parasite that decided to infect lower reptilian and mammalian critters to birth humans; and beyond that, eventually birth machines. Machination, automation, and the trend towards a digital reality coup d’état of the analog, in this light, seems like some poetic manifestation nature had planned all along.
On that note, I will leave you with a quote by George Dyson, author of Darwin Among the Machines: The Evolution of Global Intelligence, which incoherently leaves me both terrified and awe-filled at the prospects of the future: “In the game of life and evolution there are three players at the table: human beings, nature, and machines. I am firmly on the side of nature. But nature, I suspect, is on the side of the machines.”

No comments:

Post a Comment